Friday, January 20, 2012

Curious George Cake

A Curious George birthday party!!! I was very excited about making this cake!!!


I remember when I was a child that the book Curious George Flies a Kite was one of my favorite stories. For some reason the part where he stumbled upon a rabbit hutch filled with baby bunnies was my favorite part. It's great to see that the Curious George legacy still lives on, probably even stronger than ever!

This cake was for my great friend's son....Garrett turned two this year. Every big kids deserves a big, fabulous cake!!!

And Garrett LOVES Curious George. He kept yelling with big eyes about his monkey cake. GO GEORGE!! Thanks for making my job so easy! :D

I really love that cakes make kids SO HAPPY!
This cake was a dark chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling.

The top tier was decorated with the star of the cake...George (made from fondant). The bananas and yellow hat were also made with fondant. The trees are made from pretzel sticks and covered in fondant leaves (the leaves were "glued" on with egg whites). The flowers are fondant....the vines and leaves were piped buttercream.

The second tier of the cake was piped using a #12 round tip, and included some fondant ribbons, stars and circles. Just a very fun and whimsical look.


To make the bananas, I shaped the fondant and let it dry for 24 hours. I made the lines with an edible for marker and colored the tips with some green petal dust. Since I tend to like the weirdest details and aspects of each of my cakes, I'd have to say that on this cake, the bananas were my favorite detail.


Especially the banana peel!


The #2 was also made from fondant. I formed it and dried it for four days. I then added a layer of luster dust to make it more vibrant.


The cake was finished around the bottom of the cake with rolled fondant balls, they were each of varying sizes. I chose to do this because it seems that in many of the books, Curious George loves balloons. This was a way to bring that aspect into the cake,more vibrant colors, without trying to actually add balloons and ruin the balance the cake already had.

I think my favorite details on George himself were his hair and hands/feet. I love making fondant animals. George was pretty simple. With drying time included, he took me two days to make. Overall this was an extremely simple cake to make.


Look at his adorable ears and feet!!!!

And there you have it...one fabulously looking Curious George cake! :D

Happy 2nd Birthday G-man!

1 comment:

  1. Hello.This post was extremely motivating, especially since I was investigating for thoughts on this issue last Wednesday.
    NEW NO TOOLS TECHNIQUE - Furinno Storage Shelves Cabinet Display case, Dark Brown, KM-8 CUBE(DB)

    ReplyDelete