Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dirt Bike Cake

My baby boy Zachie turned 3 this week, I just can't believe how quickly time flies by! I remember when he was a wee little bugger. With his big blue eyes and his long, curly hair. So cute and cuddly.


Now he's a fiery 3-year-old! Tall, all baby chub gone, short hair. Still cute and cuddly though! :D Here he is, ready for his big boy birthday party. And also ready to steal the dirt bikes off the top of his cake! 


Zachie chose a dirt bike theme, which isn't a surprise. He is addicted to riding dirt bikes. I'm pretty sure he'd live on one if he could!

I had grand plans for this cake, unfortunately I was out of town the entire week before I had to make it and just couldn't execute, even with lack of sleep, my dream dirt bike cake. Honestly also, no offense to Walmart, but the cake I had planned initially was going to end up to "Walmart cake-ish" for me. Nope, not happening! So the day before I quickly changed my mind. :D

The accent cupcakes in this photo spell out Z-man, which is one of Zachie's many nicknames.


Due to lack of time, and transporting the cake and assembling it three hours from home, I went with a small 6" cake, covered in fondant and hand-cut decorations. The cake is of two bikes, clearly, crossing the finish line. Had I remembered to take a photo of the back of the cake you'd be able to see that. DOH!


My son was impressed with the cake, which is all that matters. The rest of the family enjoyed the Oreo cookie Swiss meringue buttercream!! Yum!


I baked two dozen accent cupcakes to go along with the cake for guests to eat. Each were decorated with hand-cut fondant pieces: dirt bike helmets. racing flags, pieces of the track, and the #3 for Z's birthday.




And there you have it, the rest is history! At least until my oldest son's 5th birthday! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment