Sunday, November 6, 2011

Owl Baby Shower

I would like to send love and congratulations out to my friends Chez and Olivia Wilson.....very soon they will be blessed with a wonderful baby girl! This past weekend I hosted their baby shower, featuring the owl nursery theme they chose. I was secretly (selfishly) excited about this theme for months...why wouldn't I want to make an owl cake?!

I really debated back and forth on this one for about a month. Did I want to make a 3-D cake? Did I want to make a 2-D cake? Did I want to make a two-tiered cake? Did I want to make a small cake and cupcakes? WHAT should I make?!?! I finally decided on three-dimensional with the look and feel of a two-dimensional graphic, and accompanying cupcakes. Confused yet?? Mainly, three dimensional figures with only the fronts decorated to mimic images from the nursery, with two-dimensional cupcake toppers.

The cake was piped with a petal pattern, and I added three dahlias to the front of the cake...just because I like them. :D I just love PINK!!


Featured on the cake are a family of owls...dad, mom and baby sitting in a nest. The owls were made free-hand, not using any cutters or molds.

Hello, dad...

    
Hello, mom...

    


    

And then there's baby....


         

The cupcakes were created from the nursery bedding...


 

The fondant decorations were cut by hand, and also hand painted.



      



The cake and cupcakes are all red velvet cake with cream cheese Swiss meringue buttercream...as tasty as they are adorable!

Congratulations, Chez and Olivia!






2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Lindy for the great shower and the beautiful cake and cupcakes! We are beyond spoiled! Love you lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this Owl Baby Shower is so enchanting. I bet that huge efforts had been put in these arrangements but they definitely paid off in the end! I also threw a chic party for my cousin at the local venue NYC and it was just great to see a smile on the face of mommy to be. She loved my vintage inspired surprise baby shower.

    ReplyDelete