Monday, September 26, 2011

Fairy Cake

I have been looking forward to making this cake for a couple of months. For one thing, I am a girl...and I know how to make cute things that can make other little girls happy. And also, just look at this cake! How could I not want to make something this fun?! I am very happy with it, I won't lie. And so was the birthday girl!



This cake took me a little over a week to make. I began by making the fairies. The basic principles for making characters that I explained in my "How to Make Fondant Scarecrows" blog post are the same that I used for making these. Obviously though the fairies are larger, more detailed and took a much longer time to dry, which is why I made them first. These would probably take 5 days to completely dry. You don't want to move them around until they are completely dry, if possible, and even then they are very fragile.

I made a flower fairy, a butterfly fairy, and an animal fairy. Oh yeah, I have been schooled on the different kids of fairies that there are, that they have pom poms on their feet, etc. etc. I just kind of went with what I thought was cute for these, though, and I am very pleased with how they turned out.

This is the butterfly fairy, I think she's my favorite.

This is made to look like the birthday girl...this is the flower fairy.

This is the animal fairy.

I later added flowers to their hair, but I waited a few days to do that. I also added magic wands in their hands, which are made from flowers that are sitting on top of a piece of uncooked angel hair pasta.

The next things I made were the animals. Especially because the deer has a large head and quite a bit of fondant in the neck and body, it also needed several days to dry.


Last came the butterflies and flowers.


For this cake, the birthday girl loves lemon, so I made a vanilla cake with lemon curd filling and lemon Swiss meringue buttercream. I didn't want to just make any vanilla cake though, I chose to make a rainbow cake. This is not an original concept by any means on my part, it is something that is very popular in the cake world right now. This particular recipe came from the Whisk Kid blog. Kaitlin is 20-years-old and 100% amazing so I recommend that you take a look at what she has going on on her site...
 http://www.whisk-kid.com/ Prepare to have her blow your mind. :D

The photo below shows the color array, these are the 6" rounds I baked for the top tier. The bottom tier is 9" rounds, all the same colors. I used all 6 for the bottom tier, the top tier was getting a little unstable so I only used 4 out of the 6 layers.

This is what the bottom tier looked like before I added the crumb coat, it's 6 layers of color filled with the lemon curd and lemon SMB. Very vibrant! And somewhat messy in this photo. :)

I saw a recent post on the Sweetapolita blog that featured some amazing color transitions in her buttercream. I decided to try it out for myself...I think the colors turned out great on this cake! I topped the cake with pink, with dark purple transitioning into light purple on the sides of the cake.

WOW that's a lot of cake! ;)

Then I assembled the cake. The cake was topped with the flower fairy and her flower garden. Everything you see was made with fondant or gumpaste. The grass is buttercream piped with a Wilton grass tip.


The animal fairy was accompanied by her turtle, frog and deer friends. So cute!



The butterfly fairy was surrounded by fondant butterflies. The tree stump she is sitting next to is actually a scrunched up granola bar covered in chocolate fondant!



I can't help it, I love the toadstools, ladybugs and snails!

This was a photo the mom of the birthday girl took at the party, the colors are amazing on the inside of the cake!!


So what happened to the two leftover layers that I didn't add to the top tier? I kept the "boy" colors so my two cakelets could have some cake fun of their own.


How adorable are those two cuties? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment