Monday, September 12, 2011

Straight from the Mouths of Babes...

I have been toying with the idea of hosting either a Champagne and Cupcake Party, or a Spirits and Sweets Party (something with mojito or wine cupcakes)...I haven't really decided what I want to do yet. Anyhow, I'm going to start experimenting on some desserts that I might like to use to inspire my party ideas. So, I made a Peach Bellini Cake this weekend....it's so fluffy. So delicious. So easy!

This cake was solely a taste experiment and wasn't going to appear on the blog. However, there are two reasons this cake deserves recognition. First, when I leveled my cake I gave samples of the trimmings to Mattie, my oldest son, who very appopriately was sitting in the backyard in his pool at the time. He asked me what the cake was supposed to taste like and I told him a peach champagne adult drink. Mattie responded: "That didn't happen at all, this cake isn't very good." Well he was being honest! Although since he isn't a peach bellini drinker I am going to assume that his assessment was incorrect! :D Actually he came back for three more helpings of the trimmings so he changed his mind about the cake not tasting good. Kids, they really do say the darndest things!

Second, this cake also deserves recognition because it really does taste fabulous. Just a note to anyone who will buy cakes from me in the future, this is going to make it onto my list of "go-to" cakes!

While making this recipe I began thinking. A number of people have recently asked me for recipe advice or decorating advice. I do research for recipes based on a variety of factors, such as theme or flavors I think would work or ingredients that I know I like to work with, and just experiment and alter recipes as I see fit. If you are looking for a good recipe that's moist, light and fluffy, here are some pointers. Look for cake recipes made with either coffee, sour cream, yogurt, buttermilk, or with whipped egg whites. These are the recipes I always have the most luck with. Also, with chocolate cakes you can take them out of the oven a minute or so before they're done to keep the cake moist (you can't do this with vanilla cakes though, I'm not sure why).

Also for this particular bellini cake, the recipe called for champagne and peach shnapps, but since I wanted a more kid-friendly version I substituted peach nectar for the peach shnapps, and it tastes just as flavorful and wonderful! Any cake recipes that call for fruit or jams will also likely be very moist!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips - perhaps in the winter I will be inspired to bake!

    ReplyDelete