Monday, January 9, 2012

Shark Cake and Cupcakes

I grew up in Hawaii. I have always loved turtles and sharks. I even have a tattoo of a Tiger Shark and a Green Sea Turtle. So, when I was presented with the idea of making a shark cake, of course I was thrilled!

Hint, hint: anyone need a turtle cake?? :D

I made a 10" cake with accompanying cupcakes for this project. Yes I cheated and BOUGHT the cupcake toppers! But they're still so very cute! The piping tip is also a new one that I just added to my collection. I think it's very quickly moving up the list toward the "my favorite piping ever" category.


The shark was much more simple to make than it looks. I molded the head out of rice krispie treats. I covered it in white fondant and hand-painted it. Then I added a fondant fin and teeth. The bubbles around the shark are just piped buttercream.


Sharky says hello. :D



Two additional details I like are the fondant surfboards with shark bites in them, and also the shells. The candy shells were formed in a candy mold and once dried I hand-painted them with petal dust. I really like how they turned out.




I think he's more of a happy looking shark, rather than a mean one. He seems to be smiling....


I think this one is going to be one of my favorite cakes of the year. A very happy birthday to Collin!


No comments:

Post a Comment