Sunday, January 22, 2012

Simple Valentine's Day Cake


Just like the Valentine's cupcakes in my previous post, there are very simple ways to decorate a festive cake. For this idea I started with three layers of 6" chocolate cake. The base icing is white. I took heart cookie cutters and placed outlines where I wanted them on the front and back of the cake. I used a #21 Wilton star tip and piped the hearts first. I piped rose swirls to cover the rest of the cake, just try to apply equal pressure throughout the entire cake when doing this. This doesn't have to be a perfect piping process. You can easily fill any holes with whatever look or method you want.


I topped the cake off with some bright pink disco dust and some red and pink sprinkles. It just adds a little color and flare.


This is also a two-toned cake...half of the cake is red. The other half is pink!


I wanted the hearts to be slightly dimensional. I used a combination of rose swirls, random swirls and stars to make the hearts. I think they look pretty good!


And that's it....aside from baking it should take you less than 30 minutes to decorate a cute cake for Valentine's Day, no matter how you choose to make it look, using this method!

No comments:

Post a Comment