Monday, October 31, 2011

The Nightmare Cake Before Halloween....

I did manage to experiment with one cake this month...THE one cake that had it turned out, it would have been epic. I have to be honest, I didn't think this one stood a chance. However, I am inspired by new and amazingly challenging things. When I see something that grabs me, I am pulled by a gnawing need to TRY it. And try it I did!

In the beginning, there was hope....
For a very, very short time, anyway, there was hope....
Ha! Silly me, I didn't even bother to take a photo of the individual and perfectly adorable (all fondant hand-cut and perfectly placed, thank you!) cakes BEFORE stacking them! DOH!


Seems like a good start, right?!?!

Let me just get to the point right now....this was a failure of a cake. Well, to be kind to myself, this cake was wonderfully executed...until about the last ten seconds of its too-short life.

Really, I over-thought this cake. Putting this cake together is no different than stacking any other tiered cake. Now I know this...why I overlooked this most basic cake construction theory before putting this cake together...I just don't know!
Oh yes, I will revisit this cake idea someday....I know there is a baker's trick to the construction of this cake. I will figure it out...and I will conquer it. Because, when it comes together, this is just a stunning cake design!

Voila!! It's stacked!! I laugh at myself now...NO the silly cupcakes don't make it look any less painful!! Haha! Oh yeah....had this stacking idea worked can you imagine how cool I would have felt?! Well, it didn't. So what was really going on in the kitchen was my husband and I telling each other: "Quick, take it apart before it gets worse, so we can still eat it!"
Good grief, I should have taken a photo of it BEFORE it came to its slow and painful death. It looked marvelous literally for about one minute before this happened. (I am still chuckling to myself here.) Although, I am happy to share my failures as well as triumphs, and this is one that definitely made me laugh.
Now on to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment