Monday, October 31, 2011

Teapot Birthday Cake...Short and Stout

My mother-in-law's birthday is in October. I wanted to make something special...but not Halloween themed for her birthday. My sweet husband is actually the one who suggested a teapot cake. So, I decided on a teapot in the garden, since she loves gardening and flowers. Perfect fit!

This was my first teapot cake and I will say these are very easy to make. However, this one isn't to my complete satisfaction (yes I am a very A-type personality and extremely picky!). Let me explain. Many teapot cakes are make from 6" cakes. They're petite and adorable. Mine is 9"...so basically huge and bulky!!! However, I did have to transport the pieces 3 hours before assembling them for the family birthday gathering. I needed enough cake to feed everyone but didn't want to make extra cupcakes, etc. So, short and stout it was. Also the lid is cake and not fondant, like on some other teapot cakes. :) The cake was delicious and the teapot looked great, even though it was not exactly the design I wanted to make. At least the birthday girl loved it!


All together it is a pretty festive and lively piece!


My favorite part of this cake was the flowers. I love any excuse to practice making gumpaste and fondant flowers. Most of the flowers for this cake were made from fondant mixed with Tylose powder, then hand-painted with petal dust. I usually make gumpaste flowers but I wanted to try something different. I just didn't have enough time to dry the fondant as well as I would have liked....so next time I will probably use gumpaste. The flowers turned out pretty well though!


My other favorite piece of this cake was the tea cup. It was just plain adorable! This was made from rice krispie treats that were molded into shape then covered in fondant. The handle was made from gumpaste and adhered to the cup with a toothpick.


Again, being a sucker for details....notice the ladybug?

The spout and handle on the teapot are also made from gumpaste, and adhrered to the cake with lollipop sticks.

 
More details....mushrooms and butterflies. :D


The little flower pots were also rice krispies covered in fondant. The leaves and grass are piped buttercream.


No comments:

Post a Comment