Monday, August 1, 2011

Garden Cake

To celebrate the retirement of one of my co-workers I made what I call a garden cake. I can't resist a brightly colored cake, and ones with red on them in particular attract me. Joyce also enjoys gardening so I made a cake with the bright colors of summer and covered the cake in beautiful red, orange and yellow poppies, hydrengeas and dogwoods that I knew she'd love. It also featured some little fondant butterflies, which in my biased opinion were incredibly adorable!

This cake was a vanilla butter sponge cake with lemon curd and lemon SMB filling. I am usually not a huge vanilla cake fan but this cake is the exception....it has a complex range of flavors from savory almonds to citrusy oranges. It is quite delicious on its own! It is even better paired with lemon, since who can resist something lemony?? Certainly not me!




 




The weather decided to get incredibly hot on me on the day of the party...so keeping the cake cool and from falling apart was really my only challenge during this process. I also broke one of my large gumpaste flowers at the last minute, again it was hot! Although by looking at the photos you'd never guess which one it was...and as a hint, it was one in the front of the cake!! :D

I will add a second post about the cupcake bouquet separately!

No comments:

Post a Comment