Monday, August 1, 2011

SMB??

I think you will notice throughout the blog that I have SMB listed quite a bit. That's short for Swiss meringue buttercream. So what is the big deal about this stuff and how does it differ from good old-fashioned regular buttercream? Well....I thought it deserved just a little attention and recognition here, for just a moment at least!

Swiss meringue buttercream is just that, made first with a meringue (heating sugar and egg whites), then the butter and flavorings are added. It is a lighter, fluffier and less sweet version of the buttercream family. I prefer it hands-down to regular buttercream. It also makes cakes look very elegant with its fluffy and airy texture!

The disadvantage to SMB is that it is more difficult to make and takes more time. It can be tempramental because it is very sensitve to traces of grease (all equipment must be cleaned well with vinegar or lemon juice) and it really hates humidity. This is a challenge for me living in the Puget Sound! Despite its pickiness SMB is pretty forgiving and you can save almost any batch that looks like it's headed for the garbage pile. And believe me, once you have succeeded in making it, it is worth all the fuss! I'd have to say at least 50% of my batches have turned out without a hitch, and the other 50% have had me wanting to hide in a corner in shame. Sometimes some eerily scary things look like they are happening in the mixer with your SMB!

Although don't get me wrong, I love regular old delicious buttercream too. :) And it certainly is much easier to make!

As far as SMB goes, it's not the only meringue buttercream out there....there are also the French and Italian versions.  I am a creature of habit and when I find a great thing I stick with it, so if you have any comments regarding any of the other varieties I'd love to hear about them. :D Happy baking!

 So first, you heat the egg whites and sugar over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
 Then, you add the warm egg whites and sugar to your mixer and beat on medium speed.
 Within seconds is starts to look like this.
 After a few minutes you can see the meringue forming. But you need to keep mixing. Don't add the butter until the bowl is cool!!!
 And sometimes, oops, it curdles. But curdling is good believe it or not, we can fix this! Put it in the fridge for about 15 minutes, bring it out and mix again. And keep mixing until it comes together. If it's still too soft add a little more butter, but keep mixing, the SMB will turn out just fine!!
 See?! Voila! Beautiful! Now add your salt, vanilla and any other flavorings you might like to use!
And make whatever your little baking heart desires with your SMB!!

No comments:

Post a Comment