Friday, August 19, 2011

Pina Colada with a Twist Cupcakes


These cupcakes are also part of the museum volunteer appreciation event desserts. This is a pina colada cupcake...with a twist! Instead of a traditional pineapple cupcake, this is a pineapple apricot cupcake. This cake is ridiculously moist and delicious.....and I think the apricot cuts the sweetness a little. The only criticism I have of this recipe is that there is just SOMETHING about it that makes the cupcakes bake flat, and in my opinion, ugly. I love the way these taste, but I plan to keep working to find a better recipe with the same moist, delicious texture and taste...just with a more sturdy and beautifully baked final product. :D

The buttercream is a coconut Swiss meringue buttercream, with almond extract added. It's perfectly flavored, not too sweet, and the almond extract adds a little extra hint of cherry, more like a real pina colada. YUM, YUM, YUM!!!


The only thing better than this would be: "Give me two pina coladas, one for each hand...." Sorry, couldn't help it. Garth Brooks has been stuck in my head all day!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment