Monday, August 29, 2011

Quilling...

I saw some photos posted on the MyCakeSchool.com blog of a quilled cake that Melissa made. I really think it's a fun idea. As Melissa would say, quilling is an art technique that has been popular for centuries and now it's also becoming a popular cake decorating method (you can look this all up on Wikipedia if you want, hehe). Of course when I see intriguing new cake challenges I just have to try them! Actually quilling with fondant is very simple and if you are looking for a pretty unique, inexpensive and decorative way to design any cake, this is an idea you should try.


I will post some step-by-step photos as soon as I can. But basically, you take any fondant that you want. I would strongly recommend adding tylose to it because it makes the fondant more pliable and it also helps it dry faster. Sprinkle a small amount of tylose onto the fondant, knead it into the fondant and roll it out. You want it to be about 1/8-1/16" thickness. It should be thick enough to stand easily when rolled, but thin enough that it won't crack when it is rolled. Are you confused yet? :D I would use a fondant cutter to help you make all the strips the same size and in straight lines...you will want them cut into 1/4" strips. Then, roll!! You can do round loops, S scrolls, C scrolls, whatever you want! Make any designs your creative side can come up with! Set the pieces out to dry for several hours to a full day. You can glue the ends together if need be with egg whites, corn syrup, or sugar glue. I personally think egg whites work well, just don't plan on eating the fondant!

The pieces in the photo above are for an "Aloha" cake I am making for my parents. Since we are from Hawaii this is a festive summer cake for them to enjoy. The cake will be teal blue and bright. I am finishing it off with candied seashells. To make these I am melting white candy melts in a bowl and pouring them into a candy mould, then putting them in the freezer for about 5 minutes to harden. I will finish them with petal dust and luster dust. Easy!

I will post the photos in a day or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment