Saturday, August 6, 2011

Margarita Cake

This cake honestly hurts my eyes! :D However I promised to share failures as well as triumphs so here it is! This really isn't a failure in any way, it was merely a challenge and very 1970s art-deco funky. :)

I made this cake for the Miso Bakes August Cake Project, which called for a green cake decorated with a small leaf tip, with a repetitive design.  I am not a fan of the leaf tip and the warmer my buttercream got, the less the color contrast appeared.  The idea in my mind was fabulous....the idea on the cake, in my opinion, was just okay. Eh, it was worth a shot! However, Miso loved this cake! She told me she gasped when she saw it! Wow, someone thinks it's beautiful! How flattering. :D This cake will appear on the Miso Bakes blog in September along with the other challenge participants. I was even chosen to select the September cake challenge for Miso...what an honor! I am very excited to see if I can do it!! :D Haha!

But under this green goup is the most wonderful tasting margarita cake!!! It is a fluffy vanilla cake recipe, taken from Sweetapolita, and modified to include tequila and lemon extract. It is so fluffly and delicious! The cake is filled with vanilla SMB and lime curd (yes I said lime...it's just as good as the lemon version!), and iced with lime infused SMB. This is a very tasty cake!!

One note about the photo showing the crumb coat, this cake was perfectly straight when I began that process. This cake includes three 6" layers. I forgot to add a dowel into the cake to hold it straight during the crumb coat process. Drats to the failures on this cake! :D








Cutie pie Mattie showing off Mommy's cake. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment