Saturday, August 27, 2011

Vintage Ruffles and Frills Cake



Ruffles and more ruffles! I really am in love with this cake, the photos didn't do it the slightest bit of justice. This was an anniversary cake and since I had the freedom to decorate it the way I wanted (and after much debate and waffling back and forth!) I chose the ruffled look with a filled flower on the top. I piped both the ruffles and flowers with a #104 tip. This is a very simple and elegant decorating method. It is also a decorating style that's flexible and gives you many options with how you would like to finish the top of your cake. Just one word of advice: make sure you make enough buttercream as making the ruffles requires more than just a normal batch.

The cake is a vanilla butter sponge cake with fresh raspberries in between the layers and chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream. The chocolate comes from adding melted bittersweet chocolate to the SMB. This version ended up so light and fluffy it tastes just like a chocolate mousse, which I love! I am very excited to make a cake like this again!!!! SO tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment